It is almost May! Thank the lord that school is almost out and summer is on its way. We just have one tiny thing in our way. Finals.
Dun, dun dunnnnnnn
Fortunately, I have been dubbed the “Queen Nerd” and have indeed been a nerd/teacher’s pet my entire life. Consequently, I have some solid tips on how to not simply survive finals, but thrive during finals.
- Go to Class– Oh how do I understand the desire to skip class and sleep in or watch Netflix or go get that extra strong coffee. But attending class is so crucial to getting a good grade that it makes suffering through another boring lecture worth it. (Almost)
- Eat Well-So many studies show the effect of a healthy diet on brain functions so indulge yourself with great study snacks like trail mix, apples and peanut butter, or popcorn (skip the butter). Make sure you have a good breakfast to start the day off right. Low on time before that 8am final? Check out the quick Smoothie Recipe on the link below.
- Sleep Well- Take advantage of all that extra time during finals week because of the weird schedule. Either study early and go to bed early or take naps during the day, either way catch some extra Z’s to ensure your brain is ready to perform on those finals!
- Get your sweat on- Speaking of extra time, use some of that free time and hit the gym! It’s a great stress reliever and a good break from studying. If you really are stressing, then take your book and read while on the bike. Either way take advantage of endorphins, we all know the importance of endorphins!
- Find the study habit that works best for you-It is important to know if you learn best by simply re-reading your notes, saying them aloud, or re-writing down the key information, or a combination of those! Find what works best for you and stick to it! For me I have to re-write EVERYTHING and then read it or say it aloud over and over. Time consuming yes, but that A+ is so worth it.
- Hang out with your friends! Take a break from studying and go on a quick adventure to your favorite local ice cream place and chill (pun intended). Better yet, combine hanging with friends and getting exercise and go for a hike! Play Ultimate Frisbee or volleyball! Multitasking in this way will totally increase your efficiency during finals week-an excuse to break from studying too good not to use 🙂
- Don’t “Pinterest Procrastinate”– The best way to get all your studying done and earn the grade you want? Don’t waste time on social media. Get Down to Business and the defeat the Huns… I mean accounting test.
- Celebrate the Tiny Victories-Set goals for yourself like 20 minutes of uninterrupted study time or finishing a page on a paper and then reward yourself with a trip to the fridge for one of those healthy snacks or 5 minutes on Pinterest, but set a timer so you don’t end up wasting an hour and falling prey to #7.
- When all else fails Call your mom-Sometimes you just have to have a finals week break down. This is when you pick up the phone and call your mom who will give you the pep talk you need. If she doesn’t answer, call your best friend and cry together. Better yet, meet up with that friend and study together or take a much needed study break. Either way, don’t suffer alone.
- When she doesn’t answer-Pray-If all else fails, pray. Pray to God for a good night’s sleep, or for him to come and lift the burden of stress off of you, because he will do that! Remember: You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. (Philippians 4:13)
You can do this. You can kick finals week butt and come out smiling. Better yet, you can smile the whole way through finals week! Best of luck! Prayers coming your way that you thrive this finals week. And as always, continue to:
Dream. Live. Thrive